Twitter / AsburyWGM

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Friday Report










There are a few things that Haiti has taught me. First, is that no matter where you go in this world, Justin Bieber WILL find you- no matter what.
But the thing that Haiti has most taught me is that happiness is attainable in any situation. I’ve spent a lot of time in reflection this week, studying my new Haitian friends. And the overwhelming feeling I get from my new friends is the feeling of happiness. Pure happiness. From delighting over an empty bottle being a new toy, to having a new home after a devastating earthquake and all that is in between- my Haitian friends know how to be happy where they are. And it’s more than inspiring.
I think I can speak for the whole group when I say being here has been surreal. Even as I sit in Port Au Prince, Haiti I have a hard time grasping that God actually placed me here and allowed me to experience that happiness. But more so, I have a hard time grasping that God wanted to actually use me here.
Tonight in debriefing our overwhelming feeling was a feeling of humility. As we sat and reflected on what God accomplished through us this week, we found it so amazing that God desired to share the glory He received this week with us. We all sat for a moment in complete awe that God let us share in what He was doing in the lives of our new Haitian friends- and then we sat for another minute and reflected on how all of us have given a huge part of our hearts to Haiti and it’s beautiful people.
As we prepare in the next few days to leave this place we have called home for a miniscule week, there’s a bittersweet feeling among our group. There’s an overwhelming feeling of joy- but there’s also that twinge of sorrow. Sorrow for having to leave this beautiful place- but joy that it has changed us.
There is still much to be done in Haiti. But I know for myself that there is so much comfort in God’s words to the Apostle John in the book of Revelation. Revelation 21:5 says, “He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then He said, “Write these things down, for these words are trustworthy and true”
My prayer for my group is that we would allow God to continue to make everything new in our lives as He has done this week. And I pray that God would constantly make Haiti and her precious people new in Him.
I ask that as fervently as I know you all have been praying for this team and this country, that you would continue to lift this place and these people up for God’s glory.
Always In Christ,
Ashlee for the group

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the pictures and the update! I'm there with you in spirit if not in person!
-Nathan
PS-Happy Birthday Bryce!