Twitter / AsburyWGM

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Welcome, Unashamed!

It's that day! "Moving in" day, that is!

I can still vividly remember the day that my family helped me move into Kresge 313 in August 1993. It was HOT! And of course I had a ton of stuff to move to the third floor and the elevator was always occupied. I remember crossing paths in the hall with one of my suitemates as she moved in. She always had a smile and a greeting in a sweet, genteel Virginia accent. Passing by her room I caught glimpses of a bed made up with a matching Laura Ashley bed set, complete with throw pillows. It made my bed with mismatched sheets and a handmade Midwestern quilt feel kind of plain and well, dorm-like. I didn't feel as bad about the amount of stuff I brought though when I saw her mom and dad unloading a U-Haul trailer (not kidding!). How was I to know that we would become close friends and 6 years later she'd be in my wedding & 3 years after that I would be in hers?

It's a day of jumbled nerves. Nerves about making new friends, uncertainty about getting along with an unknown roommate, anxiety about handling college courses, and of course feeling a tinge of sadness about saying "goodbye" to Mom and Dad and siblings. But, you're about to embark on a new phase of life that will be more fun than you can imagine, filled with tough lessons, and in the end, you won't be the same person! So jump right in, resist the urge to call Mom and Dad on the cell phone three times a day, and have fun at Asbury! Welcome, Un-Ashamed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love your piture and your blog